The Role of a Freelance Content Strategist Explained
As a content strategist, my job is to help businesses achieve their goals through the power of words. I work hand-in-hand with brands, crafting the message that connects them with their customers.
As a seasoned freelance content strategist, I am often asked what exactly it is that I do. Well, I won’t keep you wondering. Here, I’ll share my insights into the world of content strategy and the nitty-gritty of the job.
Who is a Freelance Content Strategist?
A freelance content strategist is an individual who creates and executes a strategy for developing relevant and engaging content for a client’s audience. We often work on a freelance basis and are hired by clients to help with content creation, planning, and management.
The role of a freelance content strategist may involve conducting research, analyzing trends in order to identify gaps in content, creating editorial calendars, managing freelance writers or other contributors, overseeing the publication process, and tracking performance metrics to measure the success of a particular piece of content or campaign.
In order to be successful in this role, freelance content strategists must be highly organized and possess excellent communication skills as they will need to work closely with both clients and team members in order to deliver effective results.
But What Exactly Does a Freelance Strategist Do?
A freelance content strategist does the following.
- Handles the development of plans for promoting an organization’s stories across many channels and digital platforms.
- Ensures that content aligns with the brand’s messaging.
- Uses digital measurement metrics to gauge the effectiveness of a content strategy.
- Is an expert in telling a story that not only resonates with the target audience but is also aligned with the business’s goals.
A content strategist’s job description doesn’t always involve being a content creator. Rather, they collaborate with a team of writers to develop high-quality content that aligns with the brand’s content marketing strategies.
Content Strategist Types
Content strategists come in different types, each requiring unique skills and expertise. The three most common are editorial, UX, and SEO content strategists.
Editorial Content Strategist
An editorial content strategist works alongside writers to align a company’s overall message. They also ensure that a piece of content created meets the needs of the target audience by identifying trends.
UX Content Strategist
A UX content strategist works with designers and developers to ensure the content generated offers the best user experience. All UX strategists know their goal is met when the final product aligns with the company’s overall design and brand.
SEO Content Strategist
A SEO content strategist is responsible for creating content that ranks well in search engine results pages (SERPs). Their primary designation is to audit content using keywords and other SEO techniques to improve the content’s visibility.
Content Manager vs Content Strategist
Effective content management and strategy are essential for businesses seeking to optimize their online presence. Yet, distinguishing between the roles of a Content Manager and a Content Strategist can be challenging.
While there are similarities between the two positions, their daily duties differ significantly. Take a look:
|Content Manager||Content Strategist|
|Responsible for executing content-related tasks||Responsible for developing a long-term vision for a company’s content|
|Focuses on creating and publishing content||Focuses on creating a content roadmap, planning content calendars, and defining the overall message and tone for the company|
|Manages a team of in-house or freelance writers, editors, and content creators||Collaborates with various departments within a company, including design, product, and marketing teams.|
|Ensures that content meets company standards and requirements||Analyzes data to determine what content resonates with the target audience|
|Oversees the distribution and promotion of content||Chooses the channels for content distribution and ensures that it aligns with the company’s goals|
Who Is a Content Marketing Strategist?
A content marketing strategist handles the development and execution of a specific content marketing plan to attract and retain a defined audience. The role is essentially a subset of content strategists.
A content marketing strategist’s job is to make more people aware of your brand. They get more potential customers interested, and engage with your current customers better.
For example, if you sell coffee online, your content marketing agency could create blog posts about the history of coffee, or even write scripts for video production. These things would attract people who are interested in coffee, and some of them might become customers.
My Content Strategy Pricing and Features
As a professional content strategist, I offer various freelance services that help businesses develop, increase engagement, and drive successful content campaigns. My content strategy services include:
- Audience research: I conduct in-depth research to understand your target audience, their interests, pain points, and motivations. This helps me to develop relevant content that drives engagement.
- Content planning: I create a comprehensive plan for your content marketing, including content types, themes, topics, and distribution channels. This helps to ensure that your content is aligned with your business goals and resonates with your target audience.
- Analytics tracking: I track and analyze your website and content performance, including traffic, engagement, and conversions. This helps to identify areas for improvement and optimize your content marketing efforts.
My pricing structure is transparent and based on the scope and complexity of your project. I offer both one-time and ongoing services and my pricing covers:
- Initial consultation: I offer consultation to discuss your business goals, content needs, and budget.
- Content audits: I conduct a comprehensive audit of your existing content to identify gaps and opportunities for improvement.
- Content strategy development: I develop comprehensive content strategy projects tailored to your business goals, target audience, and budget.
- Support: I provide ongoing support to help you implement and optimize your content strategy. I also help companies in content creation, distribution, and analytics tracking.
Have a Question?
The world of content marketing is filled with twists and turns. I know, and I’m here to help you navigate the terrain. If you need someone to ask about the adventures ahead, I’m ever ready to help you with a roadmap. Create content with confidence and foresight. Contact me today.